World Cancer Day
4th February 2022 is World Cancer Day.
This is not a day of celebration but a day of recognition and understanding.
The theme is ‘Close the Care Gap’. The objective is to raise awareness of the inequities in cancer care around the globe.
The key points are:
- Inequity in cancer care costs lives.
- People who seek cancer care hit barriers at every turn.
- Income, education, location, and discrimination based on ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, and lifestyle are just a few of the factors that can negatively affect care.
- The gap affects everyone, including you and your loved ones.
- These barriers are not set in stone. They can be changed.
According to the campaign, this is the year to question the status quo and help reduce stigma; to listen to the perspectives of the people living with cancer and their communities and let those lived experiences guide our thoughts and actions.
In Bishops Stortford your cancer care could start with Hummingbird Cancer Support Group. If you and your family/friends are affected by cancer you are invited to come and join us at Southmill Arts Centre. Share your stories, experiences, and treatment journey.
Take action, shout louder, find out how cancer impacts individuals, families and show your support. If you would like to make donations to our group, please contact the treasurer Hannah Mayne at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to find out more about our group, please email us or come and see us at Southmill Arts Centre. February meetings are the 7th and 21st.